A established the Minority Student Recruitment Program (MSRP, formerly MID) to advance diversity in political science. In collaboration with undergraduate and graduate political science departments, the program identifies undergraduate students from under-represented backgrounds who show potential for or are interested in doctoral study, and shares this recruitment information with APSA member graduate departments that enroll in the program.
According to the 2015-2016 APSA Graduate Placement Survey Report on Recruitment Methods, two-thirds of political science PhD departments actively recruit graduate students. Additionally, APSA’s MSRP program ranks alongside campus visits as the most common form of graduate student recruitment used by political science PhD departments.
Read the full 2015-2016 APSA Graduate Placement Survey Report here.
How Does MSRP Work?
APSA maintains a database of African-American, Latino/Latina, Native American, and Asian Pacific American undergraduates who have been identified as possible candidates for graduate study in political science. These undergraduates can be identified by their departments, by their advisors, or submit their own names for the database. The database is updated periodically and made available to the nation's top graduate political science programs who are enrolled in the program for their annual recruitment of doctoral students.
See here for statistics on the students in last year's MSRP database.
MSRP Departmental Benefits:
- A link to your PhD program on the APSA website and sent to MSRP students
- Access to the MSRP database to recruit undergraduates to your PhD program
- Participation in the MSRP Best Practices meeting at the APSA Annual Meeting
- Participation in a Spring conference call on best practices with other MSRP Recruiting Departments
For Departments: Fall 2019 MSRP Department Enrollment (open now!)
Department officers in PhD departments (chairs and graduate directors) can enroll their departments in the APSA MSRP as a recruiting department.
- Login from the APSA homepage, by clicking the green “Log In” button.
- Once you have entered your username and password, click on the green “MY APSA” button at the top of the screen. You will be directed to your APSA user account.
- Under the right hand column labeled “Account Actions,” scroll down to the link for “Become MSRP Recruiting Department" and follow the instructions.
Please note, departmental enrollment is on a rolling basis throughout the year. However, we only mail the database twice: once in the Fall and once in the Spring. This year's Fall mailing will take place on September 30th, 2019. Enroll before then!