How the APSA Mentor Program Works for Mentees
The APSA Mentoring Program will connect you to scholars and professionals who have volunteered to provide advice, support, and guidance on a wide range of topics within the political science profession.
Fall 2021 enrollment for mentees is now closed. Given the high number of submissions, we will not review applications submitted outside of the stated enrollment period - September 15 - October 1, 2021. Spring enrollment for mentees will open in February 2022.
Submit Your Mentee Request Form
The Mentor Matching Process
- Submit a mentee request form during the open application cycle: On the form, you can specify particular issues and fields of research, teaching, or professional interest for which you are seeking a mentor. Based on your request, APSA staff will match you with a mentor who best meets your mentoring needs.
- Once you submit your form, APSA staff works to identify a suitable match.
- APSA makes matches twice a year: once in the fall semester (short term and long term matches) and once in the spring semester (short term matches). Matching is on a first come, first served basis. APSA anticipates making 30 short term matches each semester and 30 long term matches per year.
- APSA will email you the contact information of a mentor from the volunteer mentor pool.
- You have 48 hours to contact the APSA mentor by email:
- When you receive your mentor's contact information, you should contact the mentor with your question(s).
- Mentors are volunteers and have agreed to respond to your contact, so please be sure to work out a schedule that is agreeable with both the mentor and the mentee.
- If you cannot make contact within the first 48 hours, reach out to your mentor as soon as possible to let them know and discuss the schedule and questions.
- If you do not make contact within the first 48 hours, APSA will assume that you are not interested in a mentor/mentee relationship and match your mentor with a new mentee.
- APSA staff provide an online mentor-mentee orientation webinar. This is an expected component of the APSA mentoring program.
- APSA staff will check in with you and your mentor about a month after the match has been made in order to assess the process.